Next from the fantastic team at Barsana is their Barsana Special Vegetable Kolhapuri!
Vegetable Kolhapuri is a spicy dish served popularly in restaurants, and is a regional recipe from Maharashtra.
This is a perfect choice if you love the heat but want to cut down on meat! They have also shared their Chef Special Paneer Tiranga recipe, which you can find here.
Prep time 15 minutes, cook time 30 minutes. 3 servings.
- 1 cup potato cubed (2 medium potatoes)
- 1⁄2 cup beans
- 1⁄2 cup carrots
- 1⁄2 cup peas
- 1⁄2 cup cauliflower
- 1⁄2 cup capsicum
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri chilli powder
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala for masala paste
- 1 tablespoon desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 5 Kashmiri red chilli
- 1 onion large
- 2 tomatoes large
- 7 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoon ginger
- 6 to 7 cashews
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 teaspoon butter
- 1 Biryani leaf
- 2 cloves
- 1 cardamom
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 1⁄2 star anise
- 7 black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoon Kasuri methi
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoon coriander leaves chopped
Prepare masala base
1. Firstly, heat a pan and dry roast desiccated coconut until golden brown. Take care not to burn it. Set aside.
2. Add 2 tablespoons of oil, tip in the red chillies. Roast on a low heat without changing colour. Remove for cooling down.
3. Add sliced onion, a pinch of salt. Saute on a medium heat to caramelise the onion.
4. Add cashews, garlic & chopped garlic, Fry for a minute.
5. Lastly, add cubed tomatoes and a pinch of salt. Cook for 4 mins roughly on a low heat to make it soft.
6. Remove and cool everything completely.
7. Add diced potatoes, beans & carrots to 2 to 2 1⁄2 cups of water. Bring to the boil.diced potatoes, beans & carrots, after 4 minutes add ensure the vegetables are fully covered with water. Simmer for 5 mins. Drain water and reserve 1 cup of starch water. Mix together the spice paste, vegetables and reserved water. Remove from heat
8. Garnish with lemon & coriander leaves.
Prepare veg kolhapuri
9. Grind the cooled sauteed items with little water to a smooth paste.
10. Heat the pan with remaining oil & butter. Add all the spices (found in ingredients under ‘’to temper’)
11. Add the ground paste. Mix for a minute. Add the spice powders except for garam masala.
12. Cook for 3-4 minutes on medium to low heat until oil separates.
13. Add capsicum, kasuri methi crushed in between the palm.
14. Add par boiled mixed vegetables and garam masala powder.
15. Add about 1 & 1⁄2 cup of the reserved vegetable cooked water. Add required salt & mix well.
16. Lastly, add cubed tomatoes and a pinch of salt. Cook for 4 mins roughly on a low heat to make it soft.
17. Remove and cool everything completely.
Serve and enjoy!