Adjusting to life in lockdown hasn’t been easy for anyone, it certainly hasn’t been for us! You might be realising that there are so many things you took for granted before that now seem like more of a luxury than a normal part of everyday life. Things like being able to go to the salon for a blow dry and manicure, or being able to go out to your favourite restaurant for a freshly made meal. There are plenty of things you’re bound to be missing by now, but luckily this is only temporary, and we’re here to help you keep life moving whilst in isolation.
We’ve teamed up with local businesses, your high street experts on everything from haircare to cooking, who want to help you through these difficult weeks by offering their tips and advice. Let’s start with beauty… Check out some of our local beautician’s top tips and advice below and keep your eyes peeled for more to come!
Skincare In A Perfect World
The team at Utopia Salon want to bring a bit of their world to your homes with their daily skincare tips! Using some of their favourite products from the salon that you know and love, they want to show you how quick and easy it is to take your makeup off at the end of the day and give your skin a much-needed cleanse. As we’re going to be using our hands a lot for this, please do make sure you thoroughly wash your hands before coming into contact with your face!
- Dampen your Makeup Eraser with just water and gently wipe away your makeup. If you’ve got your own Makeup Eraser already, or you’ve seen one in action, you know just how incredible they are for stripping away your makeup with just water alone.
- Next, we’re going to take Environ’s Sebu-Wash Gel Cleanser and apply about a marble-sized bit to our hands and gently work it into our skin. Make sure you cover all areas, including the T-zone and the neck, but do take care to avoid getting these products in your eyes. Feel free to use your Makeup Eraser to help work the cleanser into your skin and wipe away any excess.
- Wash your Makeup Eraser with anti-bacterial soap at least every other day.
If you’re running low on your favourite Environ, ANP, Ruff Stuff, or Jane Iredale skincare products, Utopia are now offering a free delivery service! Simply call and enquire on 0121 427 7755.
How To Safely Remove Gel Or Acrylic At Home
Thanks to the beauticians at Harborne Beauty Studio for this one! Since your last manicure, your nails have probably grown out by now and it’s time to say goodbye to your acrylics. Not removing them properly can cause nail damage, and the team at Harborne Beauty Studio know this all too well, which is why they shared this step-by-step guide to help you and to protect your nails.
- Turn your nails over and, using the sides of your nail clippers, cut your acrylic nails down.
- Then, remove the top coat by buffing your nails with a nail file.
- Fill a large bowl with hot water and a smaller bowl with acetone.
- For 10 minutes, soak your nails in the acetone first.
- Next, use kitchen roll to wipe your nails.
- Use the nail file again to gently buff away the acrylic or gel.
- Keep repeating steps 4 – 6 until all of the acrylic or gel is removed.
- Finally, finish with cuticle oil to protect your skin before washing your hands with soap.
Super Simple Skincare
Don’t let your skincare regime slip! Maintaining a routine is so important for a healthy lifestyle in isolation, even if it’s something as simple as caring for your skin. Here, Harborne Spa and Clinic guide you through a quick and easy homecare system using some of their favourite products.
- Use Dermalogica precleanse or precleanse balm to remove excess oil, dirt and pollution on the surface of the skin. Their beauticians recommend doing a double cleans so that you can target any problem areas and give your skin a deeper clean.
- Next, exfoliate to brighten a dull complexion and help your skin look smoother. This is recommended between 2 – 3 times a week depending on your skin type. Help to clear blocked pores and rejuvenate new skin cells by using an exfoliator that contains salicylic acid.
- Lock in moisture and balance the PH levels of the skin by misting a hydration toner over the skin.
- Finish your skincare regime with a moisturiser to lock in moisture, nourish and protect, and reduce epidermal water loss. Dermalogica have moisturisers for every skin type – oily, combination, and dry.
If you’re interested in purchasing any of the products mentioned above, give the team at Harborne Spa and Clinic a call on 0121 428 1163, and quote the code Derma2020 for a complimentary gift with your order!
Follow Harborne Village on social media for more tips like these, and drop us a comment and let us know what kind of tips you’re after? Local businesses can send your expert tips to firstname.lastname@example.org to be featured.